- Digital Marketing Services
- Case Studies
Divorce Lawyer Marketing Strategies for Client Acquisition
Developing a solid divorce lawyer marketing strategy is tricky. You can’t just hand out your business card to every married couple you see bickering in public. Well, you can—but you won’t like the results. However, despite the obvious difficulties in advertising to this seemingly elusive and vulnerable audience, many of your peers have their phone ringing off the hook asking for help with divorce cases.
I hate to burst your bubble, but the secret to getting a steady stream of divorce clients isn’t really a secret at all. The divorce lawyers who are experiencing the most client growth are the ones that have figured out how to market their law firm on the web.
It’s that simple.
Here, I’ll show you—take a look at the image below:
There more than 1,300,000 online searches for divorce lawyer keywords every month, which means each month you have over one million chances to catch the attention of someone looking for your services. You can do it, too—if you follow the following four marketing tips for family law and divorce lawyers.
Establish a Great Online Presence with a Professional Family Law Website
The most successful divorce lawyers have amazing websites. Your law firm’s website is your most valuable marketing asset and can make or break your client acquisition efforts—97 percent of consumers go online to find a local service. If your website isn’t up to par, getting leads and new clients will be an uphill battle—a single bad experience on a website makes users 88 percent less likely to visit the website again, and 75 percent of people have judged a company’s credibility based on its website design.
It can’t just look good, either. If you want a potential client to find and interact with your website, it needs to be:
- Visible in search engines – 93 percent of online experiences begin with a search engine, so your website needs to be optimized for them. We’ll discuss search engine optimization in the next section.
- Mobile friendly – 65 percent of online searches for divorce lawyers happen on a mobile device, and 57 percent of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. If that’s not enough to convince you, Google also ranks mobile websites higher in the search engine results.
- HTTPS instead of HTTP – Not only does Google also give preference in the search results to secured (HTTPS) websites, but your target audience also prefers secured websites—82 percent of people wouldn’t browse an unsecured website.
- Fast – 40 of website visitors will leave and go to another website if your website doesn’t load in under three seconds.
- Intuitive and seamless – Once your page loads, potential clients will form an opinion in 0.5 seconds. On top of this, people looking for a divorce lawyer are likely to be in a stressed, emotional state. Help them out by making it easy and seamless to find the information they need.
- Full of helpful content – You are a problem-solver by trade. Transfer your knowledge into blogs videos, ebooks, infographics, and white papers. We’ll get into more about what this means further down.
Attract New Family Law And Divorce Clients with SEO
Now you know what your website needs to have in order to increase your billable hours, but you first have to get them TO your website. We established above that there are more than 1.3 million online searches for divorce lawyer keywords each month. To catch the attention of the searchers, your website needs to show up on the first page of the search engine results pages—95 percent of searchers won’t go past the first page.
You can get there with search engine optimization (SEO) for lawyers.
There are more than 200 factors that go into ranking at the top of the search results, but here’s what you should focus on:
- Secured sites (HTTPS vs. HTTP)
- Websites that are mobile-friendly
- Schema markup
- Webpage content quality
- Webpage content length
- Page speed
- Social signals
- Quality backlinks
- Optimized images
- Domain age
- Search intent
Learn more about how to get your law firm on the first page of Google here »
Make Your Case with Content Marketing for Divorce Lawyers
Getting a divorce isn’t something life prepares people for, so the easier you make the process the more likely you are to convert a website browser into a client. Those who are thinking about or beginning the process of getting a divorce likely have a lot of questions. Every question you pre-emptively answer for a potential client gets you one step closer to representing them in their divorce.
Content marketing is a big bucket and includes things like blogs, landing pages, videos, whitepapers, case studies, infographics, and any other asset that comes out of your marketing department.
You need volumes and volumes of unique content if you want to rank well in the search engines. Just by adding a blog you could increase your chances of ranking in search engines by 434 percent.
Start creating content that answers common questions like:
- Do you have to be separated to get a divorce?
- What is a no-fault divorce
- What is an uncontested divorce
- How much does it cost to get divorced?
- How long does it take to get a divorce?
- Will I have to go to court?
- What do I do about custody, visitation, property, and other issues while the divorce is proceeding
- How will our property be divided?
- Who will have to pay off our debts?
- How is alimony determined?
- How is child support determined?
- Do I need a divorce lawyer?
- What are the different grounds for divorce?
- How long does it take for a divorce to be finalized?
Nudge Procrastinators with PPC and Remarketing
One family law marketing strategy you should employ is pay per click advertising and remarketing. Much like they sound, these are online ads that you pay for when someone clicks on them. These ads can be displayed in a number of places, including at the top of the search engine results page (search ads) as well as on partnering websites (display ads).
The reason they’re a good investment is that ads dominate the top half the search engine results page for many of your top key phrases. Take a look at the image below. I Googled “divorce lawyer Washington DC,” and this is what popped up (anything highlighted in yellow is a paid ad):
I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is “yes, people DO click on paid ads.” A recent study by Clutch.co found that 63 percent of searchers would click on a Google ad. Of those that would, 75 percent said the ads make it easier to find the information they’re looking for.
Learn more about PPC for lawyers »
Using Remarketing to Nudge Procrastinators
Have you ever visited a website and then suddenly started seeing ads for it everywhere, almost “following” you around the web? It’s not magic—it’s remarketing. On average, only two percent of your website visits will turn into leads and clients. Remarketing goes after the other 98 percent.
How remarketing works is when someone visits your website, a few lines of code from your retargeting partner drops an anonymous cookie in the user’s browser. This cookie—a small file that stores various bits of information—tracks the site visit without storing any sensitive personal info like name and address. When this cookied user leaves your site to browse the web, the cookie tells your ad platform when that user visits another site.
Learn more about remarketing »
It’s Go Time: Contact Us for Help with Family Law Marketing and Divorce Lawyer Marketing
I get it—you’re a lawyer, not a marketer. If any of the above seems like more than you can take on, you should probably look into hiring a lawyer marketing company, like Blue Corona. The only thing worse than no divorce lawyer marketing strategy is a poorly executed one. A poorly executed family law marketing plan can actually hurt your brand and taint your image.
If you need help, you can count on us. We know:
- How to navigate through legal marketing compliance, disclosures, regulations, and guidelines
- How to develop long-lasting relationships with clients
- How to best position your firm’s brand in your marketplace
If you want more divorce clients and family law cases while optimizing your marketing costs and increasing revenue, it’s time to see what Blue Corona can do for your law firm. Contact us here or fill out the form below!
About The Author: Blue Corona's Editorial Staff is determined to help you increase your leads and sales, optimize your marketing costs, and differentiate your brand by passing on our tribal knowledge. The team vigilantly stays on top of the latest in digital marketing, bringing you the top insights with expert commentary. Want to see something on our blog you haven't seen yet? Shoot us an email and our marketing team will get to work.
View more blogs by Blue Corona
The information on this website is for informational purposes only; it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute professional advice. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for complete details.