20+ Pinterest Stats to Drive Your 2019 Social Media Marketing Strategy
When I say social media advertising, chances are you think of Facebook and Twitter.
However, there’s another platform that’s flown more or less under the radar, at least for businesses: Pinterest.
Pinterest is a hobbyist’s (and a homeowner’s) paradise. Ask anyone who is planning a wedding or remodeling a house if they’re on Pinterest, and I guarantee they’ve got at least a few pinboards dedicated to that event (or their spouse does). Even if they aren’t planning something, most people I know use Pinterest to browse interests of theirs. You can find a Pinterest board on everything imaginable, from high-level interests (pets) down to uber-specific interests (blueprints for 1930s New York skyscrapers).
If your audience is on Pinterest and you have a visual product or offer services that have to do with visual planning—like home remodels, landscaping, event planning, etc.—then this is the platform for you. Any image can be turned into a pin and a collection of images makes up a board. If you have a remodeling business or other home improvement business, this is definitely one place you’ll want to show off your handiwork.
Use the statistics below to drive your Pinterest marketing strategy, and if you need any help, let us know!
- 83% of Pinterest users are female, and women are four times more likely to use Pinterest than men (Business Insider, 2014).
- 150 million people use Pinterest every month. Of that amount, 60% of new signups are women and 40% of new signups are men. (Pinterest, 2016).
- Over half of Pinterest users and 75% of new signups are from outside the US (Pinterest, 2016).
- Millennial use of Pinterest has increased more than any other social network—even Snapchat. (Business Insider, 2014).
- Though the median age of Pinterest users is 40, the majority of users are under 40 (Pew Research Center, 2016).
- 30% of social media users in the US are Pinterest users. (eMarketer, 2015).
How Are Consumers Using Pinterest?
- 87% of Pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest, and 93% of Pinners have used it to plan a future purchase (Pinterest, 2015).
- 83% of people said they’d rather follow their favorite brand than their favorite celebrity on the platform (Pinterest, 2015).
- 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest (Pinterest, 2015).
- Active Pinners have a 9% higher income than non-users (Pinterest, 2015).
- Pinterest users claim to spend less time using traditional media (TV, magazines, and catalogs) than others, meaning they pay more attention to advertising through Pinterest (Hootsuite, 2016).
- 67% of Pinners reference Pinterest on their mobile devices while shopping in retail stores (Pinterest, 2015).
- 84% of Pinners use Pinterest across multiple devices, and over 75% of them use Pinterest on mobile devices (Hootsuite, 2016).
- Pinterest users who interact with a Promoted Pin spend 7x more than others and have 50% higher intent to purchase (Hootsuite, 2016).
How Pinterest Benefits Advertisers
- Advertisers receive approximately 20% more clicks in the month following a Promoted Pin campaign launch (Pinterest, 2016).
- More than 75% of Pins saved to Pinterest come from businesses (Pinterest, 2016).
- 70% of sales from Promoted Pins are from new customers (Hootsuite, 2016).
- Pinterest is the #2 source of all social media traffic to Shopify stores (Shopify, 2015).
- The average order value of sales directed from Pinterest is around $50, which is higher than any other social media platform (Shopify, 2015).
- People referred by Pinterest are 10 times more likely to make a purchase from an ecommerce site than on any other social media platform (Shopify, 2015).
- Pinterest is currently valued at over $11 billion and continues to grow (VentureBeat, 2015).
- Orders from Pinterest on mobile devices has increased by 140% since 2013 (Shopify, 2015).
- Every day, nearly 2 million people save product-rich Pins (Marketing Land, 2015).
- Average time spent on Pinterest per visit is approximately 14 minutes (Mashable, 2012).
Pinterest Tips for Businesses
- Add the “Pin It” button to all of your site’s images. This makes it easy for your visitors to share your work. It can also serve as a bookmark reminder of your product or service if they don’t decide to buy it right away.
- When you upload your products to your Pinterest boards, pinning them directly from that product page via your new “Pin It” button is an easy way to make sure that image links back to your correct product page. Alternatively, you can upload them directly onto Pinterest and customize the Web address you want users to be re-directed to once they’ve clicked the image.
- While you want to focus on having a great image of your product to pin, don’t neglect the 500-character description beneath the pin. Write a description that will help sell your product. Even consider putting the price of the product in the description. According to Shopify, Pinterest pins with prices get 36 percent more likes than those without.
- Add a section of products on your site called “Trending Now on Pinterest” to show your users what your most pinned items are.
- Consider promoting your Pinterest in your email newsletters. Here’s an example from Steve Madden:
- Be creative with your boards, and don’t forget to take advantage of holidays. Check out some of Sephora’s boards:
If you need help with your Pinterest ecommerce campaign, contact us today.
About The Author: Blue Corona's Editorial Staff is determined to help you increase your leads and sales, optimize your marketing costs, and differentiate your brand by passing on our tribal knowledge. The team vigilantly stays on top of the latest in digital marketing, bringing you the top insights with expert commentary. Want to see something on our blog you haven't seen yet? Shoot us an email and our marketing team will get to work.
View more blogs by Blue Corona
The information on this website is for informational purposes only; it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute professional advice. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for complete details.