- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
When you Google “local contractors” and your service area, does your company show up on the first page? If not, you’re impacting your chances of having potential customers find your website—which is hurting your leads and sales. There are two ways to maximize your online real estate on the search engine results pages: SEO and Yelp.
While a smart, hardworking SEO strategy is 100% worth the effort, SEO results don’t happen overnight. That’s why it’s important to consider other approaches for your contracting company, including Yelp. So how can you dominate the search results and outrank your competition? Let’s find out. (And there’s no easier way to start than by getting a free competitor analysis!
SEO for Contractors
Your website acts as a 24/7 sales rep for your contracting company. Haven’t thought about your website like that before? You need to. When someone is looking for a local contractor, you want them to find you. And the only way to increase those odds is by investing in search engine optimization, or as it’s often abbreviated, SEO.
So, what is SEO and how can it help your contracting company generate leads, and in turn, more sales? Search engine optimization is the act of optimizing your website in an effort to achieve the best possible ranking in organic search results.
Top organic search listings appear first because they are highly relevant to your search and Google recognizes the website as the authority. Advertisers cannot pay to place their site higher in organic results. So, if you want to be found organically (aka without paying for ads OR to supplement your ads and maximize your online real estate), SEO is a great option for you.
Here are several key ranking factors to keep in mind when performing SEO on your contracting website:
- Crawl-ability: In order for search engines to crawl and understand what each webpage is about, you must ensure your content has correct code and structure. At Blue Corona, one of the first things we do is analyze a contractor’s website to ensure there are no code and structure issues.
- On-site Content: On-site content is the content associated directly on each webpage and is a huge factor in organic rankings. Some important SEO factors include title tags, meta descriptions, headings, and keywords. And it shouldn’t just be random content—create content that is valuable to your users. What types of questions do homeowners ask you? How can you show searchers that you are THE authority in the industry? You need to create high quality content.
- Off-site Content: Controlling your off-site content is trickier, but can be optimized. This is when credible sources link to pages on your website. This not only increases your brand awareness, but also increases your credibility as a website and company. There are several ways to increase your off-site SEO strategy including creating likable content, asking credible sources, and broken link building.
When considering SEO for your contracting company, ask yourself this: What is the top organic listing of Google worth?
Yelp for Contractors
If you have recently searched for a local contractor or home services business online, you probably saw fewer company websites and more local directories in your search results. For instance, if you were to Google “general contractors” followed by your city and state, you’d see a mix of local companies and directory websites like Yelp.
Is your contracting company on Yelp? If not, it should be. Why? What’s the big deal? Well, listen to us when we say it’s a great—and easy—way to maximize your online real estate. But there’s more to having a Yelp listing than simply creating a profile. You’re going to need to optimize your profile to make sure that it stands out from competitors, ranks well, and manage your company’s reputation. There’s no point in creating a profile if you’re not going to treat it like an additional 24/7 sales rep.
When homeowners are looking on Yelp for local contractors, make sure you’re their first choice by:
- Completely filling out your profile with accurate information
- Asking your customers to leave positive review
- Responding to all reviews, whether they’re positive or negative
- Promoting special offers or deals they can only find on Yelp
The more filled out your profile is, the better your chances of your contracting company ranking within Yelp and within the search engine results pages.
SEO & Yelp Optimization for Contracting Companies
Aside from the tips we mentioned above, it’s beyond important to constantly monitor your contracting company website’s SEO and Yelp optimizations—which is why the team at Blue Corona lives by the phrase track, test, tweak, repeat.
Between the two of us, you’re the expert contractor and we’re the experts at online marketing—and maybe we should keep it that way! Let us focus on your online marketing so you can do what you do best. Contact us today!
About The Author: Katie is an Organic Team Lead at Blue Corona. Outside of content creation and SEO, Katie enjoys stuffing her face with nachos, online shopping, and binge-watching Netflix.
View more blogs by Katie Birkbeck