Should My Internet Marketing Company Be Local?
Getting older has really done a number on my sleep schedule. Even on weekends, I’m rarely up past midnight and rarely still in bed past 8 a.m. But this new sleep schedule has also opened up a whole new world to me—BREAKFAST.
And I’m not talking about cereal. I’m talking about nova lox, eggs benedict, sausage biscuits and gravy, bacon, bacon, and some more bacon for good measure.
I was enjoying some potato latkes at the Woodside Deli in Rockville on Sunday morning whenever I overheard the following conversation at the table behind me:
“I’m working at Reach Local doing internet marketing now.”
(My eyes narrowed and my nostrils flared. What can I say—I’m a little bit competitive.)
“Oh I don’t like my current internet marketing guys.”
(I turned around to make sure he wasn’t a client of ours. He wasn’t. Whew.)
“Well we should talk! With Reach Local, you get a local representative.”
“I already have one of these. I just don’t like that they make me pay a month in advance.”
“Yeah we do that too. Most online marketing companies do.”
(Um, we don’t.)
Admittedly, this conversion wasn’t long. But the only selling point the Reach Local guy presented was “you get a local representative.”
Do You Need a Local Online Marketing Company?
New technologies like GoToMeeting, which allow you to share your computer screen/monitor with another person via the web (and vice versa), have made “virtual meetings” more than sufficient for sharing information. So technically speaking, there’s nothing that prevents an internet marketing company in another part of the country help you improve your online presence.
However, for some business owners, nothing can take the place of a good old fashioned face-to-face meeting. It seems as though no matter how much technology improves, few things build trust like putting a face with a name.
But before you rule out a non-local internet marketing company, I think there a couple of other things you should weigh more heavily than business-front location:
- Does your online marketing company know your industry? At Blue Corona, we’ve had great success working for home service companies, so we know certain industries better than any other marketing company out there. If you can find an online marketing company that specializes in your industry, I think that’s more important than finding one that’s local.
- Does your internet marketing company understand your business model? How can an online marketing company get you the best ROI without fully understanding your business’s sales funnel, lead-to-sale ratio, visit-to-lead-ratio, and profit margins for each product and service sold?
- Do you get a dedicated account manager? Many of our clients consider having a dedicated account manager (someone who understands their business and online marketing) the most valuable part of working with us. The account manager acts as a guide, advising you on everything from how to respond to negative online reviews to helping you fix any problems that might pop up on your website. Many online marketing companies simply send you to a random help desk rep.
- Is your online marketing performance connected to your bottom line? Some internet marketing companies will celebrate more traffic, more clicks, and more rankings for your business. The problem is, these metrics don’t directly connect to your business’s bottom line. At Blue Corona, we focus on getting qualified traffic (in your service area), leads, sales, and revenue for your business.
Looking for a Local Online Marketing Company?
Some people like putting a face to a name. No big deal. At Blue Corona, we make our long-distance client relationships work, but we also have plenty of local clients, too. If you’re in the Maryland, Washington, DC, or Northern Virginia area and have your heart set on hiring a local online marketing company, contact us today. We look forward to speaking with you!
About The Author: Lexie serves as Blue Corona's Content Marketing Manager. She's also the author of our soon-to-be famous, and someday to be written white paper, "Horse Hat SEO: Giddy-Up Your Google Rankings."
View more blogs by Lexie Bond
“We are very pleased not only with the end result, but with the entire process of working with Blue Corona. The amount of patience, guidance, and knowledge that they displayed throughout the whole process made them a very easy and enjoyable partner to work with. We are thrilled with our new website, mobile site, and content management system. We would recommend Blue Corona for any website development or redesign project. ”
- Ad Tracking
- Call Tracking
- Conference Live Blogs
- Content Marketing
- Contractor Marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Electrician Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Fire Protection Marketing
- General Business Advice
- Google Algorithm Updates
- Home Services Marketing
- Houzz Marketing
- HVAC Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Landscaper Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Link Building
- Local Directories
- Local SEO
- Marketing for Flooring Companies
- Mobile Marketing
- Online Reviews
- Paid Search
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Plumbing Marketing
- Remodeler Marketing
- Restoration Marketing
- Roofer Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Small Business Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- title tags
- Video Marketing
- Web Analytics
- Web Design
- Website Analytics & Tracking
- Window & Door Marketing
- Yelp Marketing
- Free Analysis