What Small Business Owners Can Expect in the First Year of SEO
This post is part of our Small Business Week series. Check out our blog for even more valuable insights and lessons for how small business owners can grow their company through the web.
By now, you have probably heard of SEO. You may have even looked into it to see how it can help your small business! If so—you probably have a lot of questions, including:
- How does it work?
- What is it?
- What kind of results will I get?
SEO in a Nutshell for Small Business Owners
SEO is different than many of your other investments—it’s a long term commitment that takes time to see results. We recommend giving it at least a year before you decide if your SEO results were what you hoped for.
If you’re wondering what you can expect from your first year of SEO, note that every case is different. Many factors can change how fast you see results, including:
- Investment: First, it depends on how much you are investing. If you are investing $500 but your competitor is investing $5,000, you can expect your competitor to get results a lot faster.
- Industry: Depending on the industry your business is in, you may have seasonality. For example, if you are an HVAC company, you may be slower in the off-season—meaning that even though you are investing in SEO, you may not be as busy during this season because of your industry’s seasonality.
- Service area: Some industries and locations are more competitive than others. That is the nature of business. If you own an HVAC company in a small town in Oklahoma, you may be one of few technicians in the area! However, if you are an HVAC company in the Washington, DC area, you can expect to have more competition.
- Current online profile: Finally, it depends on your current online scenario. During your first month of SEO, we take a look at your current situation. If we find that your local SEO is hurting your score or you have a lot of website structure errors, it may take longer to see results. However, investing in SEO will only help solve these errors so you see more leads!
First Month of SEO
The first month of SEO will ultimately be the foundation for the next six months. When you sign on for SEO, you can expect us to dive deep into the backend of your site, your keywords, and your competitors to really get the big picture. During your first month, we create a plan that fixes the highest priority errors. This may involve fixing your site code and structure, building out landing pages, improving your local SEO and Google+, or even optimizing current pages.
We hate it break it to you, but chances are you will not see results this month. Like I said, SEO takes time—so be patient!
Second to Fourth Month of SEO
During your second to fourth month of SEO, we really focus on building out landing pages that focus on specific keywords. For example, if you are an HVAC company, we may build out pages for repair, maintenance, or installations. Since Google ranks landing pages and not overall websites we really focus on analyzing the keywords and what people search for and create landing pages accordingly!
Depending on what we found during the month one analysis, we still may be working on local SEO, site code and structure, and more! During these three months, you may not see the leads roll in. But don’t worry—soon your wait will be over!
Fifth to Eighth Month of SEO
Once you have been investing in SEO for six months—depending on your investment—you could expect to see several new service pages, an improved site code and structure, optimized pages, and more. Unless you manually push through your new pages, it takes Google several weeks to even months to crawl and index them—meaning those pages that were created in month one or two are finally being indexed and seen by users. During the fifth to eighth month of SEO, you can expect to see rankings and organic website visits to increase.
Ninth Month to One Year of SEO
During these last few months in the year, you can expect to see an increase in activity because of your SEO investment. This is when the pages that were created at the beginning of the plan are officially indexed by Google, your pages have been optimized to use specific keywords, and your local SEO and NAP is clean.
After One Year of SEO
Just because you have been investing in SEO for a year, doesn’t mean you’re finished! After you have been investing in SEO for a year, it is a great opportunity to take a look at the results to see what worked and what didn’t. Using the information from the previous year, we can create new strategies and new plans to continuously increase your traffic and leads! The longer you stick with SEO, the more results you can expect!
Just check out the graph above. Year after year, SEO has resulted in more website visits and more leads! Your business can have similar results. Let us take a look at your online profile so we can analyze how SEO can help your small business!
About The Author: Blue Corona is a data-driven online marketing company with offices in Gaithersburg, MD and Charlotte, N.C.
View more blogs by Blue Corona
“We are very pleased not only with the end result, but with the entire process of working with Blue Corona. The amount of patience, guidance, and knowledge that they displayed throughout the whole process made them a very easy and enjoyable partner to work with. We are thrilled with our new website, mobile site, and content management system. We would recommend Blue Corona for any website development or redesign project. ”
- Ad Tracking
- Call Tracking
- Conference Live Blogs
- Content Marketing
- Contractor Marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Electrician Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Fire Protection Marketing
- General Business Advice
- Google Algorithm Updates
- Home Services Marketing
- Houzz Marketing
- HVAC Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Landscaper Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Link Building
- Local Directories
- Local SEO
- Marketing for Flooring Companies
- Mobile Marketing
- Online Reviews
- Paid Search
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Plumbing Marketing
- Remodeler Marketing
- Restoration Marketing
- Roofer Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Small Business Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- title tags
- Video Marketing
- Web Analytics
- Web Design
- Website Analytics & Tracking
- Window & Door Marketing
- Yelp Marketing
- Free Analysis