- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
Most people are familiar with the phenomenon that is stock photography—and if you aren’t, welcome to the internet. In our industry, we’ve had the opportunity to analyze hundreds of websites and we’ve seen it all: the good, the bad, and the… weird. In fact, there are entire websites devoted to the weirdness that is pervasive in stock photography—such as women laughing alone with salad, men struggling to drink milk, and women struggling to drink water.
Stock photography can be found in pretty much every industry on the market from offices to HVAC and everything in between. The results aren’t always superb, but they’re there. A standard search for offices, adventure, and victory could pull up things like:
Business people high-fiving/weirdly touching hands
Two hot air balloons going on sweet adventures absurdly high in the air
People being super triumphant
And much, much more.
All you have to do is pay a small fee, and you can download the picture and put it anywhere you want. Most of the time, these pictures make sense. You do a search for something like “AC repair man” and find a picture of a dude in a hard hat standing near a piece of equipment, brandishing a wrench and smile. But what about those stock photos for which there are no explanations? Absolutely no explanations whatsoever. Of course, that’s what we’re most interested in at Blue Corona.
We’ve combed the internet for our favorite unnecessary, unexplainable, and downright weird stock photos. Sit back and enjoy.
1. Some people talk about riding someone’s coattails to success, and some people actually live it.
2. If you believe it, you can achieve it. Sometimes.
3. Sweet, sweet dream, err’body.
4. I don’t know about you, but the first thing that comes to mind when I think about nuns is The Little Mermaid.
5. The shoe is weird, but I think his expression is the most unsettling part of this picture.
6. Bring your presentations to LIFE.
7. This was probably a reject from a Hollister photo shoot. Also. WHERE IS YOUR SHIRT?
8. SURFIN’ THE WEB, Y’ALL.
9. No one in the history of the earth has ever been so excited about popsicles in their whole damn life.
10. “Okay, how are we going to relate to our clients?” “They’re probably frustrated with paperwork.” “Yeah! Yeah, that’s a great idea! Bill, get out your camera. This is gonna be gold.”
I could literally do this all day because the internet skips merrily into dark, weird places and stock photography follows it down the rabbit hole. Of course, we’ve all been guilty of using cliché stock photography at one time or another, but that doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to the strange images that are floating around cyber space. We can help. Think of this like an intervention—if you have horrible stock photography, let us optimize your website . But first send us a copy of those pictures because that shit is hilarious.
Have a hilarious stock photo that we missed? Send it to us on Twitter, @bluecorona!
About The Author: Michelle is the operations manager at Blue Corona. When she's not keeping the wheels running here, she likes hiking with her dogs, reading, and singing along in fake (and terrible) accents to music in the card with her husband.
Out favorite is making every song sound like Cher is singing it.
View more blogs by Michelle Allen