SEO Statistics That Every Marketer Should Know in 2020
SEO stands for search engine optimization, which is the process of altering your website content and code to get your website pages ranked higher in search engines, like Google. With a special cocktail of website code, keywords, and technical indicators, you can practically TELL the search engines what keywords and phrases your pages should rank for—provided they have relevant content consumers would actually want to see and read.
You need it because (according to Hubspot’s research) organic search equates to 94% of all web traffic, and the first position on Google search results has a 34% click-through rate for desktop and 35% percent for mobile. Basically, if you’re not at the top of the search results, you’re losing clicks, leads, and sales to your competitors.
Even after being told repeatedly that search engine optimization efforts pay off, you may still be skeptical without proof. If you’re doubtful that any aspect of SEO can help your business, take a look at the statistics below.
Organic Search Engine Optimization Statistics
- Google SERP elements: Percent of searches with these (Jumpshot, 2019):
- HTTPS: 94%
- People Also Ask: 85%
- Knowledge Panel: 41%
- Reviews: 40%
- Local: 39%
- Videos: 22%
- Featured Snippets: 16%
- SEO has ~20X more traffic opportunities than PPC on both mobile and desktop. (Sparktoro, 2019)
- 50% of search queries are four words or longer. (IMPACT, 2019)
- Google is responsible for 94% of total organic traffic. (Web Presence Solutions, 2017)
- More than 50% of all searches end in no click. (Sparktoro, 2019)
- 20% of online searches are image searches. (Sparktoro, 2019)
- 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, 2018)
- According to Andrey Lipattsev, Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google, high-quality content and link building are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search. (SearchEngineWatch, 2017)
- 50% of search queries are four words or longer. (Hubspot, 2018)
- The first organic desktop listing gets 19.3% of clicks (SEOClarity, 2019)
- The first organic mobile listing gets 27.7% of clicks (SEOClarity, 2019)
- 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 57% of B2B marketers say that SEO generates more leads than any of their other marketing initiatives. (Junto, 2017)
- 75% of internet users never scroll past the first page of search engines. (Junto, 2017)
- Bounce rate doubles if your website takes an extra 2 seconds to load. (Junto, 2017)
- There are 6,586,013,574 searches made a day worldwide. (SmartInsights, 2018)
- Organic search equates to 95% of all web traffic. (SimilarWeb, 2016)
- The first position on Google search results has a 34.36% clickthrough rate for desktop and 35% for mobile. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 50% of visitors are more likely to click a result if the brand appears multiple times in search engine results. (Search Engine People, 2018)
- SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate, compared to only 1.7% for outbound leads, such as print advertisements. (Search Engine People, 2018)
For more information on organic search results, click here.
Social Media Marketing + SEO Statistics
- 61% of all visits from social media websites come from Facebook. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- More than 2 billion searches are performed on Facebook daily. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- Adults between the ages of 18 and 34 are most likely to follow a brand on social networking. (Marketing Sherpa, 2015)
- 71% of those who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are more likely to recommend it to others. (GetAmbassador, 2017)
- Facebook accounts for one in every six minutes spent online and one in every five minutes spent on mobile. (ComScore, 2016)
- The highest Facebook traffic occurs mid-week between 1 and 3 pm.
- There are more than 50 million small businesses using Facebook to connect with customers. (DreamGrow, 2018)
- The best time to post on Facebook is Wednesdays at 3 pm, Saturdays and Sundays between 12 pm and 1 pm, and Thursdays and Fridays between 1 pm and 4 pm. (Hubspot, 2018)
- More than half of marketers who have been using social media for at least two years report it helped them improve sales. (Hubspot, 2018)
For more social media statistics, click here.
Local SEO Statistics
- 64% of consumers have used Google My Business to find contact details for local businesses. (Brightlocal, 2019)
- 50% of consumers would be deterred from using a local business if contact information was out of date on their website.
- The GMB features consumers are most likely to have used: 1. Opening hours, 2. Directions, and 3. Reading reviews.
- 80-90% of shoppers read online reviews before purchasing a product. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- The Google local pack appears in the top spot of 93% of searches with local intent. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 50% of consumers who performed a local search on their mobile phone visited a store within a day. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 88% of shoppers trust online reviews as much as they trust personal recommendations. (SearchEngineLand, 2015)
- For local listings, 68% of searchers used “get directions” or “click to call” in a mobile ad. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 46% of Google searches are local. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 30% of Google mobile searches are related to location. (Hubspot, 2018)
For more information on local SEO, click here.
Mobile SEO Statistics
- Mobile devices now drive over 52% of web traffic and account for nearly two out of every three minutes online.
- 61% of mobile searches end in no click at all, and 33.7% of desktop searches end in no click at all. (Sparktoro, 2019)
- Out of the 100 billion searches Google receives a month, more than half of those come from mobile devices. (Google, 2018)
- 61% of mobile searchers are more likely to contact a local business if their website is mobile-friendly. (Junto, 2017)
- Of those who own smartphones, 87% of them use a search engine daily. (Junto, 2017)
- 65% of those who conduct a search on their smartphones say they look for the most relevant information, regardless of the company providing the information. (Salesforce, 2015)
- More Google searches come from mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries, including the U.S. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product when searching on their phones. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 68% of companies have integrated mobile marketing into their marketing strategy. (Salesforce, 2015)
- Mobile searches for “what to get” grew by over 50% from 2016-2018. (Google, 2018)
- Mobile searches for shopping lists have grown by over 150% from 2016-2018. (Google, 2018)
- 60% of smartphone users say they’ve discovered a new company or product when conducting a search on their smartphones. (Google, 2018)
For more information on marketing for mobile, click here.
Content Marketing + SEO Stats
- Adding a blog to your website can increase its chances of ranking in search engines by 434%.
- Quality content is the key factor in any good SEO strategy. Improvements in content have been known to increase blog traffic by as much as 2,000%. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- The average length of the top-ranking pages on Google is 1,890 words. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- 72% of marketers say the single most effective SEO tactic is creating relevant content. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- 43% of people admit to skimming blogs when they read them. (Impact, 2018)
- B2B (business-to-business) marketers receive 67% more leads if they have a blog. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- Blogs posts with images in them are viewed 94% more than those without. (Impact, 2018)
- Marketers who prioritize blogging are 13 times more likely to experience positive ROI. (Hubspot, 2015)
- Companies with a blog receive 97% more links to their site. (Hubspot, 2015)
- Republishing and updating information on old blogs can increase traffic by more than 100%. (SearchEnginePeople, 2018)
- Adding a blog to your site will increase your chances of ranking on search engines by 434%. (Express Writers, 2017)
- Companies that publish 16 or more blogs a month received five times more leads than companies who publish four or less a month. (Express Writers, 2017)
- 81% of U.S. online customers consider blogs a trusted source of information and advice. (Marketpath, 2016)
For more information on blogging, click here.
Video Marketing + SEO
- U.S. consumers watch up to six hours of digital video per day
- Four times as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it. (Hubspot, 2018)
- By 2019, video will account for 85% of global internet traffic in the U.S. (Cisco, 2018)
- 82% of B2C businesses report that video has become their most popular content marketing strategy. (Content Marketing Institute, 2015)
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users. (Mediapost, 2018)
- 53% of those with smartphones feel more favorable toward companies whose sites provide instructional video content. (Hubspot, 2018)
- Companies that use videos in their marketing enjoy 27% higher CTR and 34% higher web conversion rates than those that don’t. (DrivingSales, 2017)
- 43% of people want to see more video content from marketers in the future, according to HubSpot. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 52% of marketing professionals name video as the type of content with the best ROI. (Hubspot, 2018)
- 4 out of 5 consumers believe that demo videos are helpful. (Hubspot, 2018)
- Video content is 50 times more likely to drive organic search results than plain text. (Omnicore, 2018)
- Including a video in a post increases organic traffic from search results by 157%. (Search Engine People, 2017)
- Almost 50% of Internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store. (Google, 2016)
- Video drives a 157% increase in organic traffic from SERPs. (Wordstream, 2018)
For more information on video marketing, click here.
B2B SEO Facts to Know
- 71% of commercial buyers begin their research with generic Google searches
- 59% of B2B marketers say SEO has the biggest impact on their lead generation goals. (Marketing Charts)
- 57% of B2B marketers stated that SEO generates more leads than any other marketing initiative. (Junto, 2017)
- 45% of enterprises are investing more than $20,000 on SEO each month. (B2BMarketingZone, 2018)
- 71% of B2B researchers being their research with generic Google searches.
- 89% of B2B researchers use the internet during the B2B research process. (Google, 2015)
- 90% of B2B researchers who are online use search specifically to research business purchases. (Google, 2015)
- On average, B2B researchers do 12 searches prior to engaging on a specific brand’s site. (Google, 2015)
- 50% of B2B search queries today are made on smartphones, and this percentage will grow to 70% by 2020.
Voice Search Statistics
- 50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020. (ComScore, 2018)
- About 30% of all searches will be done without a screen by 2020. (Gartner, 2018)
- 13% of all households in the United States owned a smart speaker in 2017, and that number is predicted to rise to 55% by 2022. (OC&C Strategy Consultants, 2018)
- Six million Americans used a voice-activated assistant device at least once a month in 2017, a year-over-year increase of 128.9%. (eMarketer, 2018)
- Mobile voice-related searches are 3X more likely to be local-based than text-related searches. (Search Engine Watch, 2017)
- 35.8% of millennials use voice-enabled digital assistants at least once a month. (eMarketer, 2017)
- 20% of search queries on Google’s mobile app and on Android devices are voice searches. (Search Engine Land, 2016)
- The number of voice queries increased by 3,400% between 2008 and 2017. (HubSpot, 2017)
- Google claims its voice recognition accuracy is now at 92%. (Campaign, 2017)
- Two-thirds of people who use digital voice assistants, such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, use their smartphones less often. (CNBC, 2018)
- 9 out of 10 consumers use a voice assistant on their smartphones; 41% say they use it daily. (SearchEngineLand, 2018)
- 61% of consumers own a smart speaker; 51% of them use it daily, and 29% use it at least once a week. (SearchEngineLand, 2018)
- 88% of these voice search users say they are likely to use it for driving directions. (SearchEngineLand, 2018)
Partner Up with a Team of Top SEO Professionals
Though inbound marketing efforts have the potential to be successful, your best chance at seeing positive results is by putting your strategy in the hands of knowledgeable professionals. At Blue Corona, we have just the team of marketers that you’re looking for.
About The Author: Blue Corona's Editorial Staff is determined to help you increase your leads and sales, optimize your marketing costs, and differentiate your brand by passing on our tribal knowledge. The team vigilantly stays on top of the latest in digital marketing, bringing you the top insights with expert commentary. Want to see something on our blog you haven't seen yet? Shoot us an email and our marketing team will get to work.
View more blogs by Blue Corona
The information on this website is for informational purposes only; it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute professional advice. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for complete details.