- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
As a business owner, you’re constantly looking for new creative ways to bring in home remodeling leads and new projects. Maybe you’re thinking about starting social media campaigns or PPC campaigns—which definitely can increase your leads. But what if the root of the problem is must simpler than that?
Before you spend all your money on TV commercials and radio ads, take a hard look at your website. Consumers nowadays expect a whole lot more from websites than they used to. In fact, 75% of people have admitted to judging a home remodeling company’s credibility based on its website design.
This wouldn’t be a problem if it took time for users to form an opinion—but once your website loads, homeowners will judge it within 0.5 seconds. That means you have to WOW them from the first impression, and today’s homeowners won’t settle for anything but the best.
Luckily for you, there are five simple changes you can make to your home remodeling website that will help convert users and measurably increase leads and sales:
- Make your contact info large and visible
- Add a sidebar contact form
- Put testimonials and authority-builders front and center
- Feature a gallery of your best home remodels
- Create videos and other interactive media
*This post was originally written in 2016. A lot’s changed since then, so we updated it with the most up-to-date information
Characteristics of the Best-Converting Home Remodeling Website Templates and Designs
Before we get into the ways to make your website convert more leads, you should know that the best home remodeling websites—at least the ones that convert the most leads into new booked projects—all have a few things in common. Most good home remodeling website templates cover each of the characteristics below, but if yours didn’t, make sure to fix it ASAP.
The best home remodeling websites:
- Are optimized for search engines – According to Google, there are more than 1.2 million U.S. online searches for home remodelers each month. To convert these searchers into website visitors and new leads, your website needs to show up on the very first page of search engine results. You do this with home remodeling SEO.
- Are designed with the user in mind – Your website needs to be intuitive and easy to navigate to keep users engaged. For home remodelers, this includes plenty of visuals and features to enable a homeowner or property manager to make the best decisions about their remodel.
- Are mobile friendly – More than 50% of searches for home remodeling services happen on smartphones and tablets, and Google ranks mobile websites higher in the search engine results.
- Are secure – When we say secure, we mean HTTPS instead of HTTP. Data breaches and hacked consumer information have been big topics of discussion recently—and your website visitors know this. If your website has any place where users can fill in personal information (even if it’s just a phone number and email address) it needs to be secure.
- Are fast – Website visitors need to see something happen on your site in under three seconds. If not, 40% of them will leave and go to another website. Even a one-second delay can cause a 7% reduction in conversions.
5 Home Remodeling Website Changes that Will Increase Leads and New Projects
Make Your Phone Number and Contact Info Large and Visible
You want people to call you and get information, right? When homeowners go to your website, they want it to be easy—meaning they don’t want to go digging for your phone number. We recommend displaying your phone number in a large, contrasting-color font at the top right-hand side of your site.
This is by far the easiest and least expensive way to get more leads on your remodeling website—so why wouldn’t you do it!
Provide a Sidebar Online Contact Form
You can order just about anything online—food, vacations, clothing, and even toilet paper. Shopping online is easy and requires little effort. By providing a sidebar online contact form, you can capture the groups of people who fall into one of two categories.
People who are on the go and don’t have time to discuss their project idea at the moment but want more information.
People who just don’t like talking on the phone.
We have definitive proof that this works. Chances are if you are a business owner, you are a people person and don’t mind talking on the phone. However, many people would rather submit an online contact form than pick up the phone and call. To capture these people and still get leads, provide your users with an online contact form. And, most importantly, reply to their requests! Don’t let several days pass without providing a response.
Feature Testimonials and Home Remodeling Authority Builders
For home remodeling companies, homeowners want someone who is trustworthy, who has design expertise, and who their neighbors recommend. Most people don’t go knocking on strangers’ doors and ask, “Who built your home addition? It looks great!” For many, online review platforms such as Yelp, Google, and Houzz are a better—and less creepy—way of asking, “Who is the best remodeler in my town?”
Reviews are sometimes tricky to get. You don’t want negative reviews and you don’t want to sound pushy. We recommend several ways to get online reviews:
- Create an online review platform – When creating the form, have the very first question ask if the customer enjoyed your service. If they check yes, send them to Google reviews or another review platform. If they check no, have them fill out why. This can be sent directly to you so you can handle the problem.
- Send customers an email after the project – If you felt as if the homeowner really enjoyed your service, send them an email asking for a review or testimonial. You can either send the customer to Google for a review or have a section on your website where you can update testimonials from previous clients.
- Respond to your reviews – When customers see that you are active and respond to reviews, they will be more likely to submit a review as well. Keep up with your reviews, both positive and negative!
There’s an additional caveat—you can’t just get a bunch of 5-star reviews and call it quits. You need a consistent, steady stream of reviews because 85% of consumers don’t trust reviews more than three months old, and 40% only look at reviews from the past two weeks.
Feature Your Best Home Remodeling Jobs in a Gallery
Home remodeling is different than other industries in that customers want to see your previous work and designs. (Remodeling is very visual. When hiring a home remodeling company, homeowners want to know what previous work you have done so they know you can do similar work to their home)
To show users what you’re capable of, start a gallery of projects.
Thanks to social platforms like Instagram and Pinterest, homeowners have already collected dozens—and even hundreds—of images and ideas for their “dream” remodel before they even visit your website. They’re well-informed and want proof that you can make their dream come true. Featuring your best work will build their confidence you can create what they envision.
Create Videos and other Interactive Media
Videos are a great way for users to get to know your business and your work. Especially for home remodeling companies, videos are a great way for users to get to know your team, you as the business owner, and your designs. Having several different videos throughout your website can set you apart as a remodeling company in your area and increase the trust customers will have for your business.
Videos not only help customers understand your business but also help the search engines understand your business—which could rank you higher! We have found that videos indeed do impact SEO and could help make you more visible to search engines.
Ready to Change Your Home Remodel Website and Increase Leads?
These five easy changes to your website can help increase your leads; however, you may be wondering how to create an awesome video or how to build an online contact form. That’s where we can help. Drop us a note to learn how we can upgrade your remodeling website to help increase your leads.
About The Author: Betsy is Blue Corona's Digital Content Manager. When she’s not directing Blue Corona's corporate digital content campaigns she’s urban exploring with her wife, diving into the latest marketing trends, or teaching horseback riding lessons. Twitter: @educatedbets
View more blogs by Betsy McLeod