- Case Studies
Emerging Trend: Website Video Banners
Want to set your website apart from your competition? If your answer is “no”, please head over to Wix.com. If your answer is “yes”, good. Because I want to educate you on one of my favorite new emerging trends in the web dev world:
Website video banners.
The easiest way to explain to you what a video banner is is by showing you ours. Click here—it will take you to our homepage (in a new window) so you can come right back and finish reading.
Why I’m Obsessed with Video Banners
Static banners. Rotating banners. I’m kind of “been there, done that, got the tshirt” with these website banners. Sure, they’re okay if you’re the kind of person who goes to a gourmet cupcake store and gets a plain vanilla cupcake. But if you’re the type of person who goes for the pancake-flavored cupcakes with bacon frosting, you’re going to want something a little more dramatic.
In addition to allowing you to be unique in the days of cookie cutter websites, website video banners—when done well—are also great for the following:
- Putting faces to your business – In a world wide web we live in where online scams are prevalent, putting a face (or two or more) to your business is a great way to build credibility and impart trust. These two things are needed to convert your website visitors into leads and sales for your business. Unfortunately for us, all of our employees look like they grew up near a nuclear testing site (check out our meet the team page if you don’t believe me). But we put them in videos anyway and hope that you will hire us for our skills and not our looks.
- Telling a story – whether your company has a rich history, explosive growth, a raving fan base, or whatever your story is, video is an amazing medium for conveying that story. When words fail, video speaks (and that means a lot coming from a writer like myself).
- Demonstrating a product or service – “how does it work” is a question that almost every potential customer will have about your product or service. Offer up a demo as soon as they come to your site with a video banner. Bonus points if you can demonstrate the desired results from using your product or service.
- Keeping people on your site for longer – Web video traffic is expected to rise to 69 percent of all consumer internet traffic by 2017, and studies have shown that web pages with videos have significantly higher average time spent on site than those without videos.
- Increasing conversions – Studies show that well executed videos can increase conversions by as much as 80%. For ecommerce sites, shoppers who view video are 174% more likely to purchase a product than non-video viewers.
How to Royally Eff Up Your Website Video Banner
Avoid the following at all costs:
- Slow-to-load website video banners that are going to crash my entire browser and make me want to stab you through my monitor.
- Website video banners that look good on your desktop but don’t take into account that people use a bunch of different size devices (be responsible—be responsive).
- Shooting grainy, shaky-ass video footage on your iPhone and slapping it on your website and then having people endorse you for “video production” on LinkedIn.
- Forgetting a call to action—a video banner without a call to action is like eating soup with a fork: a lot of work for no results.
Above all, always remember that looking cool and edgy is not as important as providing a good user experience.
But I Can’t Afford to Hire a Videographer!
With improving technology, video is less expensive than ever before. In fact, we’ve probably done videos for companies smaller than yours.
Learn more about our affordable video marketing services for small businesses.
About The Author: Blue Corona's Editorial Staff is determined to help you increase your leads and sales, optimize your marketing costs, and differentiate your brand by passing on our tribal knowledge. The team vigilantly stays on top of the latest in digital marketing, bringing you the top insights with expert commentary. Want to see something on our blog you haven't seen yet? Shoot us an email and our marketing team will get to work.
View more blogs by Blue Corona
The information on this website is for informational purposes only; it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute professional advice. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for complete details.