Can Yahoo! Answers Help Your SEO?
I know it may seem like Yahoo! is like the kid who tries hard to be popular and just falls short every time…who uses Yahoo! anymore—right? Wrong! Instead, ask, “Can I use Yahoo! to help my business?”
Yes, Yahoo! is still used by searchers, believe it or not. And it can actually help your SEO!
Exciting News From Yahoo!
Although Yahoo! Answers has sort of declined over the years, Yahoo! announced a few days ago that it is going to roll out a new update aimed to improve user experience—and this includes mobile optimization.
Besides mobile optimization, some of these changes will include:
- Better discoverability: improved navigation and recommendations
- Reference for Q & A: continuously view and share knowledge
- Ability to add photos and videos: express yourself better through richer content
- New design with infinite scroll on most pages, in-line answering, commenting, and abuse reports
With these changes, Yahoo! Answers will be not only more valuable and convenient but also more likely to rank better than it already does (and it ranks fairly well today for specific, long-tail keywords and questions):
This holds a lot of potential for consumers who want answers to their questions, but it also could offer SEO value for businesses!
How is Yahoo! Answers Good for SEO?
Well, first, a couple things I’ve already mentioned:
- Mobile optimization (hopefully I don’t need to explain to you why this is valuable from an SEO standpoint—we’ve written about it a lot!)
By using Yahoo! Answers, you can also:
- Get more exposure – a presence on Yahoo! Answers gives you chances to be found on the web other than organic search or ads (PPC is useful too).
- Build your authority – by answering consumers’ questions, you’re engaging with the community and establishing yourself as an expert. Plus, if you answer someone’s question about why their furnace isn’t working, they’ll be more likely to remember you and think of you when they need to replace said furnace.
- Expand your online presence without being too self-promotional – answering questions is a great way to build your web presence without being self-promoting. In fact, you’re doing the opposite—being helpful and attentive to what your potential customers are actually asking! It will help you stick out. I, for one, would totally be biased toward anyone who answered my question: Why is Jack Sparrow so awesome? (That one is for my sister—Devin, you better be reading this!)
What You Can Do
It’s easy enough to create a profile for Yahoo! Answers. Sign up using your company name (not your own) and look for questions people are asking in your field.
There’s a “browse open questions” category:
I know you’re busy and you may feel like time is the last thing you have—but signing on just once a week and spending 10 or 15 minutes answering questions doesn’t take that long (it can make for a fun lunch break activity).
Because the changes aren’t live yet, I’m not sure exactly how the new Yahoo! Answers will look…it might be a little different, but it will be a good different!
Need Help Building Your Authority?
If you need help building your authority, Blue Corona is the company to call. We have experience with both onsite content marketing and offsite SEO, helping companies build their authority and expand their web presence. Contact us today to learn more!
About The Author: Alanna is a content marketing specialist with Blue Corona. When she's not doubling and tripling website traffic and leads for remodeling companies, she enjoys reading and working out.
View more blogs by Alanna Potosky
“We are very pleased not only with the end result, but with the entire process of working with Blue Corona. The amount of patience, guidance, and knowledge that they displayed throughout the whole process made them a very easy and enjoyable partner to work with. We are thrilled with our new website, mobile site, and content management system. We would recommend Blue Corona for any website development or redesign project. ”
- Ad Tracking
- Call Tracking
- Conference Live Blogs
- Content Marketing
- Contractor Marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Electrician Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Fire Protection Marketing
- General Business Advice
- Google Algorithm Updates
- Home Services Marketing
- Houzz Marketing
- HVAC Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Landscaper Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Link Building
- Local Directories
- Local SEO
- Marketing for Flooring Companies
- Mobile Marketing
- Online Reviews
- Paid Search
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Plumbing Marketing
- Remodeler Marketing
- Restoration Marketing
- Roofer Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Small Business Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- title tags
- Video Marketing
- Web Analytics
- Web Design
- Website Analytics & Tracking
- Window & Door Marketing
- Yelp Marketing
- Free Analysis