- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
We’re Giving Away Our Plumber Digital Marketing Playbook
“My phone isn’t ringing.”
Sound familiar? Yet there are more than 246,000 searches EVERY MONTH for plumbers in the United States according to Google’s keyword planner. Conservatively speaking, that’s just shy of 3 million searches a year from people looking for a plumber, and that doesn’t even include any related searches like, “plumber near me,” “24/7 plumbing company,” or others.
“I need more leads.”
It’s a line we’ve heard thousands of times from prospective customers here at Blue Corona where, to put it simply, we help plumbers generate more business from their digital marketing campaigns.
This guide to plumber marketing is meant to weed out the crap and give you a proven playbook to create a successful internet marketing campaign in 2019 and 2020.
(Pun intended.) From SEO to PPC, social media, directory listings, email marketing, and more, we’ve got you covered.
Have questions at the end? Our plumber marketing consultants are ready to answer anything you throw at us… all you have to do is call!
Internet Marketing for Plumbers… Where to Start?
In 2019, plumbing companies have more digital marketing options than ever before, and navigating which strategies will have the most significant impact on your business this year can be difficult to navigate. Some popular digital marketing services for plumbers include:
- Website Design
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Pay Per Click (PPC or “paid advertising”)
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Email Marketing
Start with your website.
Make Your Plumbing Website Fast, Frictionless, and Mobile-Friendly
Your website is usually the first interaction people have with your company, and it should serve as your 24/7 online sales representative. However, it’s not enough to simply have a website. It needs to be:
- Fast: plumbing customers expect your website to load in under three seconds.
- Frictionless: customers should be able to get what they need from your website in one click and one second. That means clear navigation, helpful shortcuts, and content that anticipates their needs.
- Mobile-friendly: 64% of online searches for plumbing services happen on a mobile device. While three years ago a plumbing company could get by without a click-to-call button on their home page, now it’s standard—meaning you need to have a mobile-first mindset.
It also needs to be properly coded for SEO, which means adding metadata like schema, optimized images, and title and meta tags.
4 Easy Ways to Make Your Website Better
If you’re a plumber without a website, learn more about websites for plumbers.
Invest In SEO for Plumbers
One of the best ways to get plumbing leads is through Search Engine Optimization and Local SEO
If you’re reading this you’re probably a plumber looking for useful tips to enhance your website performance. The first priority after creating a lead-generating website is making it be visible online with SEO (search engine optimization), which is the process of making your web pages show up higher in the search results page. Search engine optimization for plumbers should be your top priority after your website because:
- 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine, and 47% of people click on one of the first three listings in the search results page (Source)
- SEO is a long-term marketing investment and takes time to see results
- Competitors already invest in SEO, so they have a head start on you
- Competition on search engines for plumbers is high, so getting started now positions your company the best on search results in the future
In a study released by Google, four out of five consumers use search engines to find local information. As a result, ranking on the first page of Google as a plumber for your most important keywords can be the difference between a customer in need calling you and calling your competitor.
3 Quick Ways to Improve Your Plumbing SEO Results
- Claim and optimize your Google My Business page
- Optimize your website content for your local service area
- Get reviews on Google My Business and other online platforms
Invest In Pay Per Click Advertising for Immediate Plumbing Leads
Needs leads NOW? Pay per click advertising (PPC) allows plumbers anywhere to immediately be found on the first page of Google, delivering quick results in the process. The two biggest benefits of PPC advertising are controlled visibility and relevance. Traditional plumber advertising interrupts people. Pay per click advertising only puts your message or ad in front of people actively searching for your services.
There are different types of PPC ads, and if you want the best advertising for plumbers you should take advantage of (if the program is available in your area yet) Google’s Local Services ad program. These ads are pay-per-lead (meaning you only pay when someone calls you) and show up at the very top of the search results page:
How it works is you sign up to become a verified, Google-Guaranteed contractor, and you receive leads by a phone call. One thing that makes this better than most other pay-per-lead platforms is that with Google’s Local Services you only pay for verified leads.
With the clients we are testing we are seeing verified plumbing leads in the $20 – $30 range.
Use Local SEO to Dominate Your Market
Take a Hyper-Targeted Approach to Plumber Digital Marketing
The Google local pack appears in the top spot in 93% of searches with local intent, according to Hubspot, which means when homeowners and businesses are looking for a plumber close to them, the Google local pack will show up almost every time. For example:
Local SEO is the process of optimizing your website to maximize your search visibility.
As part of your plumber digital marketing campaign, you can optimize your website by:
- Claiming and optimizing your Google My Business page
- Optimizing heading tags on every web page (H1s, H2s, etc.) for local search
- Optimizing metadata (title tags, meta descriptions) for local search
- Adding business Schema markup to your website
- Claiming and optimizing your business’ online directory profiles
- Optimizing your website content for local search
How to Optimize Your Plumbing COmpany’s Google My Business Profile
- Post regularly
- Make sure all business locations accounted for with connected GMB pages
- Have a consistent NAP (name-address-phone number)
- Have a large number of 4 and 5-star reviews
- Add your business’ categories
- Add your business’ description
- Add (and keep updated) your hours of operation
- If you offer online booking, add the “booking button” feature
Keep In Touch with Email Marketing for Plumbers
Email Marketing for Plumbers Nurtures Unclosed Prospects & Keeps You In Touch With Previous Customers
Do customers ever call you for repeat business? If so, good on you. It not, shame on you.
Staying in front of prospects and existing customers should be a top priority for plumbers, making email marketing an integral part of your plumber digital marketing campaign.
Incorporating email marketing into your plumbing company’s internet marketing campaign can:
- Keep you in touch with your customers
- Generate more sales by including specials, coupons, and rebates
- Improve your brand awareness
Incorporate Video Marketing Into Your Plumber Digital Marketing Campaign
Video Marketing for Plumbers Boosts SEo & Establishes You as THE AUTHORITY In Your Community
One-third of online activity is spent watching video, and home service companies are taking note. Every plumbing contractor should invest in at least one video for their website, and if you have the means, invest in a video marketing campaign. As part of your plumber digital marketing strategy, video marketing can:
- Increase engagement with your website
- Give your brand a personality
- Convey your competitive differentiators to website visitors
Video Marketing Tips for Plumbers
- Keep your videos under two minutes – Videos under two minutes get more engagement with visitors and the longer your video is, the fewer people will watch it.
- Put videos on service pages – Video on landing pages can increase conversions (phone calls, web form submissions) by 80% or more. What’s even better is that websites with video have a 2.1% higher conversion rate than those without video.
- Add videos wherever relevant – Having a video on a landing page makes it 53% more likely to show up on page 1 of search rankings.
- Use videos on blogs – Blog posts with videos attract three times as many inbound links as posts without video, further enhancing the SEO value of your plumbing company’s website.
Take Advantage of Social Media for Plumbers
Engage With More Plumbing Customers and Differentiate your Brand
Whether you like it or not, social media is growing at a rapid pace and playing an increasingly important role in how businesses interact with customers. Social media allows you to expand the reach of your company and improves the overall performance of your plumber digital marketing campaign.
Setup your social media profiles on these platforms:
- Google My Business
Incorporate social media into your business operations:
- Website footer
- Marketing materials
- Business cards
- Email signatures
Get More Online Reviews to Increase Plumbing Contracts
Separate Your Business from Other Plumbers with 5-star reviews
Want to get more plumbing contracts? Invest in generating and promoting 5-star reviews—84% of people trust online reviews as much as a personal recommendation. Additionally, 54% of people will visit the website after reading positive reviews, making reviews the new word-of-mouth referrals. In fact, I’ll wager that if you seek out SEO services, one of the steps you’ll probably take is to search for “plumber SEO reviews.”
Your customers aren’t any different—they want to know whoever comes to fix their pipes is trustworthy. Think about it—who do you think customers are going to call in a high-stress situation like a broken toilet or a burst pipe? A plumber with an aggregate review rating of 2.1-stars with 5 reviews or the plumbing company with a 5.0-star rating and 150 reviews?
Not to mention, if your company is found in Google’s local pack with two of your biggest competitors, you want your company to stand out above the rest.
Use a Review Platform to Generate More Online Reviews
Don’t have the time to email each and every customer for a review? Use a review platform to quickly ask your customers for a 5-star review. We recommend our clients use Review Us Now.
Your Plumber Digital Marketing Experts
Here at Blue Corona, we help plumbers grow their business and yield measurable results from their plumber digital marketing campaigns. In fact, we like to say we’re plumbing marketing experts!
Contact us today to learn more about our plumber marketing solutions and how you can grow your online presence.
About The Author: Brandon is the Marketing Manager at Blue Corona. Working with each and every client to become an extension of their internal marketing team, Brandon helps the businesses he works with increase leads and sales and differentiate themselves in the marketplace. Outside of work, Brandon can be found spending time with his wife and his two dogs.
View more blogs by Brandon Doyle