Should You Build a New Website?
‘Tis the season to be jolly! It’s the season of giving—but it’s also the season of getting, especially if you’re going about online marketing the right way. This largely includes having the right (read: search engine-friendly and attractive) website.
With a combination of the right website and right marketing strategy, you can get not only a lot more exposure on the web but also more leads and sales. That’ll be one very good gift!
I hate to say it, but you won’t get that gift if your website is crap. Which brings me to a glaring question:
How Is Your Website?
The truth is, many business owners don’t know much about their website—at least not from a functional standpoint. Understandable, right? They are busy running a business, and website design is best left to professionals.
And if your answer to the above question is, “I don’t have a website,” there’s a pretty simple solution to that: MAKE ONE. A website:
- Is your company’s best form of advertising online
- Will help you build your authority and establish yourself as an expert in your industry (many companies do this through blogging—and you should too)
- Can be an easy way for customers to get in touch with you if they’re not quite ready to call
- Showcases your work (important for companies in photo-centric and aesthetic-focused industry, like home remodeling, landscape design, etc.)
- Helps you establish relationships with prospective clients (people like to do business with people they “know” and a website can give them the opportunity to get to know your business and they’ll be more likely to choose your services)
What if you have a website but it’s bad? Good question.
What Constitutes a Good Website
A good website:
Is SEO-friendly. This includes a number of different things. A search engine-friendly website:
- Is on a content management system (CMS) like WordPress or Drupal (just stay away from Flash!)
- Has an XML sitemap (informs search engines about new pages that can be crawled)
- Includes the right meta data (title tags, meta descriptions, and on-page keywords)
- Has good URL structure (short, keyword-rich, static)
- Has optimized photos
- Is fast at loading (we’ve even written about why good site speed is important)
- Has great content—content is what will help your website pages rank, so make sure your content has the right keywords, targets the right audience, has calls-to-action, etc.
Is user-friendly. This is important in retaining visitors. You don’t want a prospective client to come to your site and abandon it after 10 seconds because it doesn’t load or it’s tricky to navigate. A user-friendly website:
- Has good site structure (more on that in another blog post!)
- Has internal links on pages that point to other relevant pages
- Is engaging (calls-to-action, relevant page and blog post titles, etc.)
- Is fast at loading, which is good for search engines and the user
- Has a good design (my coworker Jake wrote a funny post about how a bad website design can cost you a potential lead)
Is attractive. Users respond better to websites with good designs. I won’t get too much into this since I’ve discussed it before—hopefully your website is like a supermodel!
Do You Need a New Website?
A website that is search engine-friendly, user-friendly, and beautiful is good enough to work with. You do need to build a new website if your current site doesn’t meet the criteria above or if you don’t have a website at all.
Luckily, at Blue Corona, we aren’t only content marketing specialists—we have a talented web team that can build you an attractive and SEO-friendly website. So contact us today to get in touch with us and give yourself a great gift of more website traffic and leads.
Now go home, watch A Christmas Story with the family, make hot cocoa, and enjoy the holidays—knowing that you have a team who looks forward to making you a great website!
About The Author: Alanna is a content marketing specialist with Blue Corona. When she's not doubling and tripling website traffic and leads for remodeling companies, she enjoys reading and working out.
View more blogs by Alanna Potosky
“We are very pleased not only with the end result, but with the entire process of working with Blue Corona. The amount of patience, guidance, and knowledge that they displayed throughout the whole process made them a very easy and enjoyable partner to work with. We are thrilled with our new website, mobile site, and content management system. We would recommend Blue Corona for any website development or redesign project. ”
- Ad Tracking
- Call Tracking
- Conference Live Blogs
- Content Marketing
- Contractor Marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Electrician Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Fire Protection Marketing
- General Business Advice
- Google Algorithm Updates
- Home Services Marketing
- Houzz Marketing
- HVAC Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Landscaper Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Link Building
- Local Directories
- Local SEO
- Marketing for Flooring Companies
- Mobile Marketing
- Online Reviews
- Paid Search
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Plumbing Marketing
- Remodeler Marketing
- Restoration Marketing
- Roofer Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Small Business Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- title tags
- Video Marketing
- Web Analytics
- Web Design
- Website Analytics & Tracking
- Window & Door Marketing
- Yelp Marketing
- Free Analysis