- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
Pay-per-click advertising is one of the best marketing investments you can make. Not only are both Bing and Google Adwords PPC ads a relatively cheap cost-per-click compared to other marketing avenues, they target people where and when they most likely to need your product.
Before you get started on your Google PPC (or Bing PPC) campaign, you should familiarize yourself with the statistics that make it worth it. These PPC statistics should help you get a good measurement of what to expect and which types of pay-per-click ads will work best for high conversion rates.
Below you’ll see PPC stats that support:
- Why you should choose PPC ads
- PPC search ad statistics
- PPC display ad statists
- PPC and local search ads
- Pay-per-click statistics for industry benchmarks
- What makes people convert?
I’m ready to start my PPC campaign, I want to contact you NOW!
Why Choose Pay-Per-Click Ads?
Why choose PPC ads? Because you’re reaching the people you want to reach where and when you what to reach them. Display ads can be shown on specific websites that relate to your business, and search ads appear at the top of the search engine results.
- Businesses make an average of $2 in income for every $1 they spend in AdWords. (Google)
- On average, 41% of clicks go to the top 3 paid ads on the search results page. (Wordstream)
- For high commercial intent searches (someone looking to buy a product) paid ads get 65% of all clicks. (Wordstream)
- The average click through rate for an ad in the first position is 7.94%. An average click through rate is 2%. (AccuraCast)
- PPC visitors are 50% more likely to purchase something than organic visitors. (Unbounce)
- 65% of B2B companies have acquired a customer through LinkedIn paid ads. (HubSpot)
- One company increased their PPC ROI by 2.5 times with Facebook remarketing. (AdRoll)
- Search ads can increase brand awareness by 80%. (Google)
- 75% of people who find local, helpful information in search results are more likely to visit the physical stores. (Google)
- Terra Organics attributes 25% of their new customers to their targeted search campaigns. (Google)
- Display advertising has proven to increase traffic to websites by 300%. (Visually)
- There are at least 300,000 mobile apps currently serving Google Mobile Ads. (Creative Roots Marketing)
- 43% of new customers buy something they saw in a YouTube ad. (Contently)
- AdWords competitive rate of 87% allows your advertisement to fairly promote your products or services making you a competitor to those in similar industries. (Optimus 01)
- The Legal industry has the highest average Cost Per Actions: $135.17 (Search Engine Land)
- Industry with the best average conversion rate for AdWords search ads: Insurance and Finance. (7.19%) (Search Engine Land)
- Industry with the best average conversion rate for AdWords display ads: Home Goods (2.19%). (Search Engine Land)
PPC Search Ad Statistics
Google search ads (and Bing search ads) target people at the moment they’re searching for your product or service. They appear at the top (or bottom) of the search engine results page, and if you can secure the top spot you’re pretty much golden.
- There are 160+ billion monthly Google searches.
- 51% of searches are longer than 4 words. (Wordstream)
- Appx. 70% of all online searches are Google searches.
- Appx. 1,200 words count average for top content. (Niel Patel)
- 90% of online users trust reviews. (Google)
- 75% of marketers say SEO is content creation.
- 95.3% of clicks go to the top 4 results.
- 40% of store purchases start online.
- WordPress Blogs get 93% more links of HTML, CSS or Platforms like Godaddy & Square Space.
PPC Display Ad Statistics
Display ads are perfect for brand awareness and and getting your product top-of-mind. You do have to be careful, however, as display ads aren’t always well-received by consumers.
- The average clickthrough rate of display ads across all formats and placements is 0.06% Display Benchmarks Tool)
- Ad blocking grew by 30% in 2016. (Business Insider)
- There were 615 million devices blocking ads worldwide by the end of 2016.
- A 2013 study revealed that 28% of respondents admitted to hiding their activities from advertisers — second only to criminals. (Pew Research Center)
- A study revealed that only 2.8% of participants thought that ads on website were relevant. (bannerblindness.org)
- 25 – 34 year-olds are more likely to ignore online ads, such as banners and those on social media and search engines, than they were traditional TV, radio and newspaper ads.
- About 50% of clicks on mobile ads are accidental. (GoldSpot Media)
- 54% of users don’t click banner ads because they don’t trust them. (BannerSnack)
- 33% of internet users find display ads completely intolerable. (Adobe)
PPC and Local Search Statistics
Local search is the present and future of pay-per-click advertising. Local “near me” searches are gaining popularity, and if you have a local business, you’re going to want to heavily invest in local search and paid ads marketing.
- 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within five miles. (WordStream, 2016)
- 30% of mobile searches are related to a location. (Google, 2016)
- 28% of searches for something nearby result in a purchase. (Google, 2016)
- Local searches lead 50% of mobile visitors to visit stores within one day. (Google, 2014)
- 78% of local-mobile searches result in offline purchases. (Search Engine Land, 2014)
PPC Industry Benchmark Stats
An important factor to consider before you start out on your PPC adventure is that different industries have different benchmarks. You need to know your specific industry’s benchmarks, or else you’re setting yourself up for failure. We came across this AMAZING infographic from Wordstream, and it pretty much sums up any industry benchmarks for PPC.
What Makes People Click and Convert? PPC Statistics You Should Know
- 46% of people can’t identify paid ads on the search results page. (Wordstream)
- Social and mobile gaming video ads have a 91% viewing completion rate. (CMO)
- Consumers are 27 times more likely to click through online video ads than standard banners. (CMO)
- 69% of searchers that are mobile call a business straight from Google search.
- 36% of searches on Google are associated with location.
Bing and Google AdWords Pay-Per-Click Advertising with Blue Corona
Yes, Bing and Google Adwords PPC ads can be simple, but they can also be incredibly complex. We highly recommend you brush up on our blog posts about PPC, and then give us a shout for PPC campaign management.
You May Be Interested in:
About The Author: Betsy is the social media lead and a digital marketing expert with Blue Corona. When she’s not managing Blue Corona's digital content campaigns she’s urban exploring, hiking with her dog, or teaching horseback riding lessons. Twitter: @educatedbets
View more blogs by Betsy McLeod