- Competitive Analysis
- Search Engine Optimization
- Pay Per Click
- Website Design
- Tracking & Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Franchise Marketing
- Case Studies
- Case Studies
- Home services
- Home Design & Remodeling
- Commercial Services
Do you like puzzles? Or do you get easily frustrated trying to fit the millions of little pieces together? Using a website builder to create your own custom site is similar to piecing together a puzzle. There are hundreds and thousands of pieces, and it can be overwhelming to figure out where to start. You know what the outcome should look like—but it takes time and hard work to get there.
Which raises the question: should you attempt to build your company’s website or hire a professional web designer to tackle the project?
Why Hire a Professional Web Designer
Many small business owners experience sticker shock when pricing a custom web development project. But the initial investment gets you much more than any DIY website builder ever could—let me tell you why.
Benefits of a Professionally Built Custom Business Website
Apart from increased revenue, there are many advantages a small business owner will experience when hiring a professional web developer, including:
- Complete Customization – On average, a yearly subscription to a website builder costs approximately $100. This investment doesn’t include any add-ons you may want to include, which can cost an upwards of $50 for each extra feature you implement on your site! (All of which you need to learn to set up yourself—yikes!) By hiring a web designer, they can add as many customized features to your site that you want, all for one cost.
- Troubleshooting – When creating your own site, you will likely run into some trouble. (Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.) Believe me, you have more important ways to be spend your time instead of scanning Google search results for the answer to your question that isn’t filled with confusing technical jargon. Because if you don’t know squat ‘bout coding, things could get a bit tricky. That’s where the help from a web designer comes in. You get to spend your time on more important things while they focus on the nitty gritty details.
- Achieving Company Goals – Not everyone with a wrench can fix a toilet and not everyone with a website builder can build a website that will help you achieve your business goals (increased visits, leads, sales, revenue). You might know what looks pretty, but do you know how to create a site that generate conversions? A good web designer knows the ins and outs of the industry from a digital perspective. They can create a website that uses the best online marketing practices from the location of your phone number and the order of your navigation to creating successful calls to action and more!
- Implementing SEO Best Practices – Sure, you can build your site yourself, and for a fraction of the cost. But you get what you pay for. A web development company can help you set up website tracking in Google Analytics. They can also monitor the calls you’re receiving from paid ads or organic traffic. At Blue Corona, we not only create a beautiful, search-engine friendly website, but we write pages upon pages of keyword-rich content. That’s why Blue Corona includes professional website copywriting serviceswith almost every website we design and build.
Your website can and should be your #1 source of new business. We urge our clients to think of their websites not as online brochures, but instead as virtual sales reps. If you are a small business owner looking to grow your authority and online presence, you should invest in a custom built website—the profits will outweigh the initial investment!
Creating Your Own Site With GoDaddy’s Website Builder
If you’re not ready to hire a professional web development company, you have a few options. Companies like GoDaddy attempt to make the DIY design process flow as smoothly as possible. But not all online website designers are created equal. If you’re contemplating using GoDaddy’s Website Builder, sit down and consider its pros and cons before making any decisions.
Advantages of Utilizing GoDaddy’s Website Builder
Whether you’re upgrading your current site or creating your company’s first website, GoDaddy offers a user-friendly, and rather inexpensive, website building option for the everyday business owner. Along with the cost, there are many advantages of building your business’s website through GoDaddy’s Website Builder.
It’s true, a one stop shop makes things simple—and business owners sometimes prefer simple because running a company can be hectic. With GoDaddy, you can not only register a domain name and purchase your web hosting, but you can use their Website Builder’s tools and templates (there are more than 300!) to create a website that suits your needs—for both desktop AND mobile. (Which is very important if you want to rank well on the search engine results!)
Easy to Use
If you’re not extremely tech-savvy you need a website creator that is user-friendly and easy to navigate. GoDaddy’s interface is relatively easy to understand—they use a drag-and-drop feature that allows you to put what you want, where you want, when you want it.
Depending on your price range, GoDaddy offers two relatively inexpensive options for business owners. Their first plan is the normal Business package, which is “ideal for small businesses.” This package runs for $5.99 / month (currently on sale) and provides a free domain, access to 300 website themes, unlimited pages, 10 GB of disk space, 50 GB of bandwidth, and more. If you’re looking for a little bit of an upgrade, GoDaddy offers Business Plus plan costing $10.99 / month (currently on sale). With the upgraded plan, you receive the same as the smaller package but increased disk space (50 GB) and increased bandwidth (1,000 GB), as well as search engine optimization (SEO) and a one-click social media manager. (Don’t forget—Blue Corona’s SEO team can optimize your site’s content and handle your social media too!)
Disadvantages of Building a Website With GoDaddy
All website building platforms have their advantages and drawbacks. Don’t just sign up for the first website builder you find through Google’s search results. It takes time and research to find the right option for you. Without hiring a web development company to build a truly customized and responsive website, you’re going to have to settle for a website builder that most closely matches your wants and needs. If GoDaddy sounds like your best website building option so far, keep the following disadvantages in mind when making your selection.
Remember that really cool template you chose for your website? I hope you like it—a lot. If you decide to switch things up and change the template, you lose all of your valuable, SEO-optimized content. If you aren’t a fan of commitment and want to change your design as often as you please, don’t worry. There are other options like Squarespace or Weebly that provide the flexibility you’re looking for.
HTML and CSS Coding
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert when it comes to HTML coding, it’s always nice to have the option of making tweaks to the HTML or CSS coding. But with GoDaddy, you aren’t given access to the HTML code, meaning that you can’t make customized and specific edits that you could with other website builders.
If you run an e-commerce website, you should probably steer clear of GoDaddy. With the normal plan, GoDaddy allows you to add a PayPal Store to your site—which is rather limited. They do have another option call Quick Shopping Cart, but that e-commerce application requires you to upgrade your GoDaddy plan for access.
Blogging Made Not-So-Easy
We’ve explained how blogging is an easy way to get leads and build your company as THE authority in the industry. So, when we tell you that your site could benefit from a blog, we mean it. GoDaddy’s Website Builder does not offer a blog. You will need to integrate an external blog feed from websites like Blogger or WordPress.
Leave Web Design to the Professionals
If you’re in the market for a new website and you’re considering using GoDaddy’s website builder, there’s one more thing you should consider: your time. Website builders try to make the job as simple as possible, but for the average business owner, it’s not always as easy as 1-2-3. You will need to spend a good portion of time creating a professional and powerful business website that will attract customers and bring in leads and sales! Your website should be a 24/7 sales representative for your company—don’t settle for anything less.
Not sure if you should hire a web development company or build the site yourself? Give the web team at Blue Corona a call. We’ll walk you through our web development process and explain the benefits of outsourcing your web design project. You’ll end up with a beautiful, customized website that is unlike any of your competitors! Let us do what we do best, so you can spend your time doing what you do best—running your business.
About The Author: Katie is a content marketing specialist at Blue Corona. Outside of content creation and SEO, Katie enjoys stuffing her face with nachos, online shopping, and binge-watching Netflix.
View more blogs by Katie Birkbeck